Canadian Scholarships for Nigerian Students: The Complete List of Canada’s Scholarships, Fellowships, and Grants for Students from Nigeria, including eligibility requirements, application dates, forms, and more have been provided in this article!
Anywhere needs serious financial planning, so it’s critical to learn if there are scholarships or other options for financial assistance at the location where you choose to study abroad.
This section will offer guidance on where to go for details on awards and scholarships for Nigerian students planning to attend Canadian universities.
International students with strong academic credentials and, in some cases, students from specific regions or nations who qualify and are eligible for scholarships or other forms of financial aid have programs and financing choices available to them.
You can use the search methods listed below to check if you qualify for a scholarship or other forms of support to study in Canada:
Canadian Scholarships for Nigerian Students
The International Scholarships Page of the Canadian Government should be your first stop for information. Using this online tool, overseas students can search for scholarships offered in Canada according to their country of origin.
In this situation, a Nigerian seeking a scholarship to study in Canada must visit the page listing scholarships/awards available to international students for study/research in Canada.
Choose “Nigeria” as your country of origin, and then look over the list of scholarships for which they are qualified to apply.
Provincial and Territorial Awards and Scholarships for Foreign Students
It is a good idea for a Nigerian undergraduate or graduate student looking for a scholarship to study in Canada to visit the Ministry of Education Website of the province in Canada where they intend to study.
Canadian provinces and territories occasionally develop their own scholarship and award programs for international students.
The following list includes two well-known provincial scholarships and awards for international students:
British Columbia (BC)
International (or Nigerian) students planning to attend school in British Columbia (BC) may be eligible for financing or specialized programs for international students.
Ontario (ON) Program for Ontario Trillium Scholarships: For international PhD students wishing to attend an Ontario university, the Trillium Awards program is funded by the Ontario government.
New international PhD recipients typically receive OTS for a maximum of four years.
Each OTS is worth $40,000 per year and is automatically renewed for three more years as long as the recipient keeps up their academic standing and is in compliance with OTS eligibility conditions.
On the websites of the several Ontario universities, this program is described.
Awards And Scholarships Available Through Individual Canadian Educational Institution.
Scholarships and awards are available through several Canadian educational institutions.
Many Canadian colleges and universities, as well as certain secondary schools, offer financial aid to international students in the form of entry grants or awards.
Read also: List of 5 Tuition Free Universities in Canada
For students pursuing studies in a particular language or field, several Canadian educational institutions and provincial governments may additionally offer discounted tuition.
In this situation of Canadian scholarships for Nigerian students, the student will need to look for appropriate funding opportunities on the school’s website or by getting in touch with the school directly after choosing an educational institution and a course of study.
International students typically have their submitted academic records (transcripts) and other application supporting documents taken into consideration when they are admitted for entrance awards and scholarships.
It is important to note that if you use our (Plumville’s) service for finding a Canadian university for your studies.
You will have an advantage because our qualified educational consultants are constantly informed about scholarships for Nigerian undergraduates and graduates that are offered at Canadian educational institutions.
Additionally, we will conduct a thorough search and make sure we apply for any admission awards and scholarships that are offered at the preferred Canadian academic school.
In order to be considered for admission scholarships and awards, a Nigerian student who wishes to receive an entrance award or scholarship at a Canadian educational institution should submit an early application.
Additionally, the “Fall” (September) intake will be the ideal choice for this person because admission rewards and scholarships are typically only given to “Fall” students at most Canadian colleges.
Home Country Scholarships
Home country scholarships can be very generous, and they are one method for a Nigerian to learn about additional sources of funding or scholarships for study abroad. For instance:
1. Scholarships provided by the government of the student’s home nation.
For instance, certain Nigerian States (such Rivers, Delta, etc.) offer scholarships to residents of their respective states so they can pursue higher education abroad.
Most of the time, the State’s Ministry of Education is a reliable source of information regarding these chances.
2. Scholarship Awards from Institutions or Businesses in the Student’s Home Country.
Reputable organizations and businesses in Nigeria occasionally (often once a year) create overseas scholarship programs for Nigerians to pursue higher education abroad.
We typically publicize these financing possibilities via our social media platforms after they have been published in national newspapers (Facebook, Twitter, etc).
So that you are informed of whenever these possibilities arise, make sure you follow or like us on all of your social media platforms (we are @PLUMVILLEint on all of them).
You can also subscribe to our blog by email by clicking the button below.
In the near future, Plumville wants to implement an annual program for study abroad scholarships under which one undergraduate and one postgraduate student from Nigeria would, respectively, get a full scholarship package to pursue their studies overseas.
The goal of this is to inspire and motivate academically talented Nigerian students who want to study abroad but lack the financial means to do so.
3. Verify with the Canadian Embassy’s representative in your nation.
The Canadian High Commission in Abuja and/or the Canadian Deputy High Commission in Lagos are the appropriate places to contact in this situation for Nigerians looking for scholarships to study in Canada.
For international students with excellent academic status, grants and financial aid are available at the graduate level (master’s, doctorate (PhD), post-doctoral) in Canada.
Depending on the academic department and the organization, these prizes will have a range of values.
It will be necessary to get in touch with the Canadian educational institution that is being considered.
Government of Canada and External Scholarship Opportunities
Additionally, there are a few Government of Canada and Outside Scholarship Opportunities open to outstanding international students wishing to enroll in graduate programs in Canada.
Here are some further details below:
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS)
• The Vanier CGS program aids in luring highly capable PhD candidates who excel in the arts, social sciences, engineering, and natural sciences to Canada’s academic institutions.
• Available to PhD students from Canada and other countries.
• During PhD studies, up to 167 scholarships of $50,000 each are given out each year.
• Takes into account three equally weighted evaluation factors; academic excellence, research potential, and leadership.
• There are a maximum of 500 scholarships available at any given moment. To learn more, visit www.vanier.gc.ca.
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
• Open to both Canadian and foreign researchers who have recently completed a PhD, PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree
• Designed for the very best postdoctoral researchers who will positively contribute to the nation’s economic, social, and research-based growth.
Each year, 70 fellowships worth $70,000 each for two years are given out. Up to 140 prizes can be given out at once.
• Selection criteria include:
(1) research excellence and leadership in the applicant’s field of study;
(2) the caliber of the applicant’s proposed research program;
(3) institutional commitment and evidence of a strategic alignment between the applicant and the institution’s goals;
• Visit www.banting.fellowships-bourses.gc.ca for additional details.
Trudeau Foundation Scholarships (and Fellowships)
• Programs with intense competition that provide up to 15 PhD scholarships per year for study in the social sciences and humanities, some of which are open to international students
• Candidates must be nominated by a Canadian or foreign university, be applying to a doctoral program in the social sciences or humanities, or be enrolled full-time in the first or second year of such a program.
The foundation does not accept individual applications.
• Up to $60,000 in annual value for each scholar (plus a $20,000 annual travel allowance) for a maximum of four years.
• Selection Standards:
(1) Have a proven track record of academic success
(2) Possess exceptional skills that will allow the scholar to engage in lively discussion with other researchers
(3) Intend to work in a field related to one or more of the Foundation’s four themes (human rights and dignity, responsible citizenship, people and their natural environment, and Canada’s role in the world); and have a stated desire to contribute to public discourse.
Visit the Trudeau Foundation website for further details.
The Jeanne Sauvé Public Leadership Program (Fellowship)
The Jeanne Sauvé Public Leadership Program (Fellowship) is available to applicants from Canada and abroad.
• Application eligibility
(1) Have at least one university degree
(2) Be between the ages of 25 and 30
(3) Be highly proficient in both oral and written English; knowledge of French is an asset
(4) Have at least three years of full-time professional experience; full-time internships and volunteer positions are considered to be professional experience
(5) Have a proven track record of leadership in the service of a particular community or cause in the public interest
(6) Have the ability and will to think critically and creatively Young leaders are given the exceptional chance, once every two years, to spend 12 months away from their education, employment, or other formal obligations for a period of introspection and self-realization while working on a new initiative in their field of choice.
Read also: The Best Universities In Canada – Top 100
Fellows are selected based on their commitment to building culturally diverse societies.
Their sincere desire to serve the public interest and in the public sphere.
1. Their ability to function effectively in an intercultural and international team of peers, both as a member and a leader
2. Their critical thinking skills, their creative solution to a real-world problem.
3. Their burning curiosity about globally significant issues and how those issues connect, and their passion for experiential learning.
• Visit Jeannesauve.org/pillars/public-leadership-program for more details.
Other Canadian Scholarships for Nigerian Students
Below is Up-to-date information about Canadian Scholarships for Nigerians, 2022-2023
1. University of British Columbia Neporany Doctoral Fellowship in Canada
British Columbia’s University CIUS’s Neporany Doctoral Fellowship in Canada, is a Partial Funding international grant for international students.
Applicants for this scholarship must be one of the following: It is possible to come from any country and stay here.
This PhD scholarship can be used to study political science, economics, and related subjects in Ukraine.
The University of British Columbia, or any other accredited college or university in Canada, accepts this award.
2. Undergraduate In-Course Bursary Program
Undergraduate In-Course Bursary Program is a Canadian Scholarships for Nigerian Students you should consider applying for.
Scholarships offered by Concordia University, Canada, include the In-Course Bursary Program for overseas students.
The following students are eligible for this award: All nationalities are welcome.
All of the university’s undergraduate and graduate programs are eligible for this award, which can be used to cover the cost of tuition.
It is possible to use this scholarship at Concordia University, located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
3. Simon Fraser University – H.Y. Louie And Lohn Entrance Awards in Canada
In Canada, the Simon Fraser University – H.Y. Louie And Lohn Entrance Awards for International Students, is a Partial Funding international scholarship granted by the Simon Fraser University (SFU).
The following students are eligible for this award:
It is open to citizens of every country. This undergraduate grant is open to all majors and fields of study.
Simon Fraser University (SFU) in Canada accepts this scholarship. There’s a link to the scholarship application form on the site.
4. International Peace Scholarships (For Women)
The P.E.O. Sisterhood offers full funding for international students through the International Peace Scholarships (For Women).
The following students are eligible for this award: International students are welcome to apply.
All fields of study are eligible for this Master’s or PhD scholarship. The International Peace Scholarship (For Women) application date is 1 April.
All colleges and universities in the United States and Canada are eligible for this award. Visit this page to fill out an application for financial assistance.
International Peace Scholarships (For Women) is one of the Canadian Scholarships for Nigerian Students you should consider applying for.
5. GSLS Travel Fellowships
The University of Wurzburg offers overseas students a Partial Funding GSLS Travel Fellowships 2022 scholarship.
The following students are eligible for this award: Candidates from throughout the world are welcome to apply.
Life Sciences and Medicine students are eligible for this Conferences & Travel Grants award. The application deadline for GSLS Travel Fellowships varies.
There are no restrictions on where you can use this scholarship; it is open to any countries hosting international conferences and seminars.
6. Conestoga College International Degree Entrance Scholarships
Wants to apply for a scholarship right? Then Conestoga College International Degree Entrance Scholarships is a Canadian Scholarships for Nigerian Students you should consider applying for.
Canada’s Conestoga College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning (CTAL) is offering a Partial Funding International Degree Entrance Scholarships for international candidates. Candidates for this award include: All international students are welcome.
This grant is available to students wishing to pursue a Bachelors/Undergraduate, or Master’s degree in any of the college’s academic programs.
The application deadline for Conestoga College’s International Degree Entrance Scholarships is always open.
It is possible to use this scholarship at the Conestoga College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning in Canada. You may find the scholarship application form right here: scholarship form.
Conestoga College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, Canada, offers a variety of international scholarships, fellowships, and grants to students from around the globe.
7. Ontario Graduate Scholarship
International students can apply for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship, a scholarship with partial funding provided by the province of Ontario.
Applicants for this scholarship must be one of the following: Open to people of all backgrounds and nations
All fields of study are eligible to apply for this scholarship for a master’s or doctoral degree. The Ontario Graduate Scholarship application deadline varies.
Students can use this scholarship to attend the University of Western Ontario (UWO), Ryerson University (RU),
Ontaria College of Art and Design (OCAD University), Nipissing University, Laurentian University, Lakehead University,
Brock University, the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT), the University of Guelph, the University of York, and Queen’s University, Kingston, all in Canada.
The application form for the scholarship can be found here.
8. Leakey Foundation Research Grants
The Leakey Foundation Research Grants is a full-funding international grant for overseas students offered by the Leakey Foundation.
The following students are eligible for this award: All nationalities are welcome.
It is possible to pursue a PhD or Postdoc in Human Origins Research with the help of this scholarship.
For this scholarship, you can go to any college or university in the world.
The Leakey Foundation offers a variety of worldwide scholarships, fellowships, and awards.
9. Khyentse Foundation Buddhist Studies Scholarships.
Scholarships from the Khyentse Foundation for worldwide students studying Buddhist studies are available through the Khyentse Foundation’s Buddhist Studies Scholarships, 2022 program.
Candidates for this award include: All citizens of the country are welcome.
It is possible to use this scholarship to further one’s studies in Buddhism by earning a master’s or doctoral degree.
Check out Khyentse Foundation’s other foreign scholarships, fellowships, and grants.
10. Khyentse Foundation Individual Practice Grants
Khyentse Foundation Individual Practice Grants is the last on our list. This is a Canadian Scholarships for Nigerian Students recommended for you to apply as well.
It is a Khyentse Foundation Individual Practice Grants, a partial-funding award for international students. The following students are eligible for this award: Everyone is welcome, regardless of nationality
Buddhist studies and practice are eligible for this Master’s degree award. Khyentse Foundation Individual Practice Grants submissions must be received by the deadline of 15 January.
In conjunction with Buddhist institutions, this scholarship is available. You may find the scholarship application form right here: scholarship form.
Khyentse Foundation also offers a variety of additional international awards, including fellowships and grants.
Recommended read: Student Visa And Scholarships In Canada